Thursday, July 28, 2011

"Why Read the Classics?" #8

The reader's reaction is very important if an author wants to get good reviews on their essay or whatever they are writing. My reaction of Nabokov's "Good Readers and Good Writers" was not so good, but my reaction of Calvino's "Why Read the Classics?" was a lot better. Nabokov's writing was a little negative, so that made my reaction towards it negative. Calvino's writing was more positive, therefore my reaction was positive as well. I really enjoyed reading this essay and it made me want to pick up a classic novel and read it. Since this essay was very logical (so it makes sense that I had a logical reaction towards the essay), I feel like I have more knowledge when it come to classical novels. This will come in handy when I continue to read the novels Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre. I feel that the essay "Good Readers and Good Writers" will help me with my reading and writing, I just do not like the way the help was provided. However, "Why Read the Classics?" will also help me. It will help me with my reading and it will also help me with comprehending classic novels. As opposed to Nabokov's essay, I enjoyed reading this one. So you could say I am a fan of more logical type essays.

No comments:

Post a Comment