Saturday, July 23, 2011

"Why Read the Classics?" #1

"Let us begin by putting forward some definitions.

1. The classics are those books about which you usually hear people saying: 'I'm rereading . . .', never 'I'm reading . . .'"

I believe that these first few sentences in the introduction are the thesis of this essay. It is informing the readers about what is to come, which is reading the classics and why it is so important to some people. So by this thesis I can comprehend that this essay will be about classic books and why it is so important and fascinating about them and why I should read them. It is also in the beginning of the introduction. This is the definition of a thesis, therefore, it must be a thesis. This thesis is implicit. The definition of implicit is something that is implied and not plainly expressed. So that means that the thesis is there, it is just not easy to see. And that is the case in "Why Read the Classics?". The thesis in this essay is a little bit harder to find than others. By rereading the first page like Vladimir Nabokov suggested in "Good Readers and Good Writers", eventually I found the thesis I was looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment