Thursday, July 21, 2011

"Good Readers and Good Writers" #4

I had many reactions to "Good Readers and Good Writers" when I first started reading it. I noticed that Vladimir Nabokov was being very pushy and as I said earlier, he thinks very highly of himself. On the other hand, he seems to know what he is doing and he is just trying to help spread his knowledge to others. I do not like the way he is presenting himself and his ideas, but I do respect his information. "Going back for a moment to our wolf-crying woodland little woolly fellow, we may put it this way: the magic of art was in the shadow of the wolf that he deliberately invented, his dream of the wolf; then the story of his tricks made a good story. When he perished at last, the story told about him acquired a good lesson in the dark around the campfire. But he was the little magician. He was the inventor." This quote from Nabokov was one of my favorites. I like how he used an example from a different book to prove one of his points. He used many different techniques and ideas. Another idea I also liked was the ten definitions of a reader. It showed me ten things I needed to have to become a good reader. Therefore, I have mixed reactions to Nabokov's essay. I like his information and knowledge, but I am not too fond of the way he presented it.

No comments:

Post a Comment