Thursday, July 28, 2011

"Why Read the Classics?" #7

When it comes to writing essays, novels, short stories, etc. there are a lot of decisions to make. The authors of these writings have to choose things like the point of view, the plot, the characters, the setting, and the theme that they want to send out to their readers. Italo Calvino knew he had a lot of authority when he decided to write his essay "Why Read the Classics?". Although, he does not have to make as many choices. Since this is a fictional and also an informational essay, he did not have to choose the characters or the setting. The plot and the theme are extremely similar to the title of this essay. Calvino decided to make the plot about reading classic novels, and why. It tells you that just in the title. After deciding what he wants his essay to be about, Calvino gets to choose the theme of the essay. I think that the theme or message was that reading the classics is a really good decision. After reading the essay I feel that reading the classics will be better for me in the long run, and I will never forget them. The point of view is also a decision made in the early stages of writing. Calvino chose to use first person. I know this because he uses words such as I, me, my, and mine.There is a huge amount of authority for the author. Without the author, there would be no essay or novel. After all, you can not spell authority without author!

No comments:

Post a Comment